Pages - Menu

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Vallotton Expo at the Grand Palais


A surprise postcard flew all the way over from a very kind soul in Saffron Walden and landed on my doorstep the other day -- a lovely one, of the painting Le ballon by Félix Vallotton (1865-1925). 



Le ballon (1899)

Here is some information on Le ballon, which I believe normally lives in the Musée d'Orsay. 

Apparently there was a wonderful exposition of his work at the Grand Palais, which I am very sorry to have missed, especially because I am not at all familiar with his work. Click here for details of this recent exhibition. 
Friends in England and France, did you know of it or happen to see it, by any chance? 

Anyhow…look at these gorgeous colours and shapes in the paintings below!


Le Jardin du Luxembourg (1893)


I feel there is something reminiscent of Toulouse-Lautrec in the way he captures these scenes...
Clair de lune (1895)


But also have a look at his woodcut prints -- I'm not sure if it is his compositions, the large blocks of black, his figures, or a combination of all of these things, that gives these prints a very eerie atmosphere to them. 

Le Violon

I don't know what it is! I think the closest I can come to articulating what I mean is that I feel each image is hiding something...

La Raison probante

If you have enjoyed some of the images of Vallotton's work here, there is also another upcoming exhibition ("Félix Vallotton: Fire beneath the ice") at the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam from 14 February - 1 June 2014. The museum also has a large collection of works on paper by fellow avant-garde artists (Les Nabis) and will feature many of these dramatic woodcut prints. 

Click here for more information on this exhibition. 

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment